Sunday, December 19, 2010

Me, Explaining What Happened

You may have noticed that a couple of days ago I posted that I thought Zelda was going into labor. She was. I went to bed at around 12:38 at night after watching some TV with my dad. My brother proceeded to wake me up at 2:30 in the morning tell me that Zelda had a full leg sticking out of her, non-plural, leg not legs. As soon as I got out there I knew something was wrong, the leg was ice-cold and had no hair. I had a bad feeling in my gut telling me that this was a stillborn baby. Since there was only one leg I had to go in and correct the babies position. I had never done this in my life. How did I get the baby out in time to save Zelda? I don't know, it might have something to do with having small hands. I delivered the baby by breach. I kept thinking of a banana like the Deliveries page at GoatWisdom said. I got the baby out and sure enough, it was still born. By this time it was almost 3:00 in the morning. I stayed out another hour and a half. Nothing else happened, I knew I should at least see the placenta by now, but no, nothing was happening. I bounced her and couldn't feel anything so I gave her warm water a some grain, I went inside had some hot chocolate and read a book, I had to much adrenalin in my system to go to sleep, so I stayed up and I continually checked on her. The time my brother went to check on her she had another stillbaby in with her. At this point she was completely exhausted and sad. I could tell that she had wanted babies, but she didn't get any. To my knowledge she still hadn't passed her placenta. She might have and then at it, but I just didn't think she had. She grew worse and had very bad diarrhea, she was very weak and she was crying for Zoe. Anytime I let her out the pen she was in she started to trot over to the big girls pen. of course, her legs weren't very strong so she kept stumbling and almost falling over. I couldn't let her go by the other big girls because I was afraid they would head-butt her and get her hurt. I brought Zoe over by her in the corn-crib and they snuggled for awhile. Eventually I had to put her away and Zelda got lonely again.She still had very bad diarrhea that smelled horrendous. I kept giving her fresh water and food. She slowly improved and now she's almost back to normal. I think that I will never let Tinky near the girls again unsupervised. I want nothing like this to happen ever again. I have to go to bed now, I have a very important soccer game tomorrow. I'm playing against my sisters team. It's the tiebreaker for 1st place. I'm under pressure!!!

3 comments:

IsobelleGoLightly said...

Oh! I'm so sorry! I was hoping everything was OK but worried when there was no news!!! Having goat babies is certainly a hard thing to do!! I hope that everyone (including you) recovers and is very well soon.

Millie said...

I am so sorry. Sometimes it's the hardest thing in the world to get a baby here safely. Nanny Blessings to you all.

Pricilla said...

I am very sorry. Nothing is assured in a goat's life. I didn't post it on my blog but one of Sarah's kids was still born - a doe. It is indeed very sad.
Goat hugs