Wednesday, December 29, 2010

New Year, New Things To Do

This was the second year of having goats on this farm. I am pretty sure they have been the best few years of my life. This was the best year of the two. Lot's of things happened, Uhura had triplets on March 18, all boys. I went out one morning and had the feed bucket to lure them to the pasture. Uhura got in front of me with her placenta hanging out of her, now picture me stopping, dropping the bucket, and setting off screaming to the pen there were two beautiful baby boys, Peter and Prancer. I picked them up, one under each arm and ran to the house, please note, Uhura was following me the whole time screaming at me to put her babies down. I was screaming to, in excitement. By the time I was calmed down, we had already put down fresh straw in the pen and started cuddling with the babies. We started hearing tiny, little, weak baby calls, we watched the two babies very closely, it wasn't either of them I searched the pen, it wasn't that big, what could it be, I looked in a bucket that had been there the whole time, a little buckling had somehow gotten in there. He was very weak and didn't make it. It was very upsetting for me, to see such a sweet, innocent soul depart from this earth so early in his life. I made the best of it and got to know Peter and Prancer. I thought they were the cutest things I had ever seen ever. That is, until Lily came along. On March 31st I awoke to hear my dad screaming up the stairs, "Baby goats! Baby goats! Baby goats!" I scrambled into cutoff jeans and a tank top. I didn't even put on shoes I just ran out to the barn, the night before I had sensed that Wendy was getting close. I had put her in the nursery, at that time the nursery had been about 8x4 not big enough for her to have, 1, 2, 3, 4 babies in! One baby was still born, not big enough to have lived. And then I saw her, a baby angel goat come to earth, come to me! She was tiny about as long as a Barbie and only weighed about two pounds. Her brother, Jaimy, was almost a perfect replica of her, except the ears, Lily had hers mommy's ears, Long and pygmy, Jaimy had his dad's ears, tiny and La Mancha. And he was quiet a bit bigger. The 4th baby, another boy, had his head stuck in Wendy's feed bucket, we thought he was already dead, he was, almost, so weak he couldn't even lift his head. The poor thing died about an half and hour later. And I was already smitten with her. I lived Lily. She was my life. We had a whole summer together. I am pretty sure it was the best summer of my life. I sold Peter, Prancer and Jaimy to the same farm and they are pretty happy there, I think. We had lots of things happen this year, bad and good.

Whew, long post, my fingers are tired.
Good night and Nanny Blessings.

3 comments:

uglydog75 said...

Sounds like a great year... It is hard when you lose babies, but unfortunately some are just not meant to be.

Hope you have a great 2011!

Millie said...

What a great post, sharing your goat experiences. I know how hard it is some days (don't know how many times the human has cried her eyes out in the barnyard), but it's a new year. We all hope you have good luck with the babies that are arriving this year. Blessings to you too.

Melodie said...

Our first year with goats had some heartbreaking losses too..thinking of them still makes me tear up sometimes but the next year was a good year and made up for it.The longer we have our wonderful little goaties the more we learn!